Youth Tour Tips
Tips from your peers...
- Keep your photo ID with you at all times
- Be aware that the swimming pool and exercise facility at the hotel will be closed to all Youth Tour participants during the week
- Bring comfortable shoes to wear!
- Get lots of sleep before you go! Don‘t start the tour tired!
- In 2011 more than 1,500 other students participated in the youth tour
- Security in Washington, D.C. is extensive and thorough
- Remember to bring some casual clothes for the farewell dance/event on Wednesday night, you are not required to wear your color coded t-shirts
- Buy souvenirs when you have a chance – don‘t wait
- Remember the khakis or chino pants should be long pants not shorts or capri length
- Shirts, for each day, are provided and are yours to keep
- Each state‘s YLC representative should bring dress/business clothes
- Drink lots of water during the week
Things to remember. . .Your tour director and chaperones are your friends. They will be responsible for assuring your safety and well-being during the entire tour. They are always available to help you. If you have a problem, confide in them. They will work hard to provide you with a memorable experience.
While traveling through airports. . . Groups of students will be leaving from Great Falls, MT and Bismarck, ND. Chaperones will be located at the ticket counters in Great Falls and Bismarck. Check in with your chaperones at the air-line‘s ticket counter as soon as you arrive. Do not go to your departure gate until the chaperone takes you as a group. All students must stay with the group at all times. Arrive wearing your youth tour t-shirt and nametag.
About the itinerary . . .Careful planning has gone into the trip‘s itinerary. During your stay in the nation‘s capital, you will have the opportunity to visit places and people that most citizens are not afforded in their lifetime. Promptness is crucial in assuring that you have a chance to visit all of the places and people that we have planned for your tour. Your tour chaperones will advise you throughout each day of the specific times you are to board the bus, etc. All touring will be done as a group, with your chaperones leading the group. You will not be allowed to leave the group at any time. It is very important that you have a wristwatch with you.—The clock on your cell phone IS NOT an acceptable alternative to a watch.
REMEMBER: The tour director‘s watch is the ―official time.
While on the bus. . .The bus has been chartered exclusively for use by our group for the entire tour. We have taken into consideration your comfort in selecting the bus company. To assure your safety on the bus, we will follow a few simple, but important rules. Everyone must be seated while the bus is moving. Let‘s keep our coach clean and uncluttered and listen to your chaperones and bus driver when they are speaking. At the end of each day, all trash will be collected and deposited according to your chaperones‘ instructions. Refreshments and snacks will be provided during the day.